THE FEDERAL Member for Leichhardt, Warren Entsch, is asking Far North Queensland kids to illustrate what ‘the spirit of Christmas’ means to them as part of his 2014 Christmas Card competition.
The competition, which is now in its fifth year, is open to all children aged from 5 years to 12 inclusive ? with the winning pictures to be featured on Mr Entsch’s annual Christmas card, distributed to his Parliamentary colleagues and Leichhardt residents.
“When we think of Christmas, it conjures up images of Santa Claus, presents, reindeer and snow,” said Mr Entsch, “but the real spirit of Christmas is much more than that.
“It’s about giving to others, being selfless, showing gratitude, an awareness of those less fortunate, and caring for everyone in the community ? regardless of whether you know them or not.”
Last year, with the theme of ‘A Christmas Dream’, the competition received almost 200 entries from children all across the Leichhardt electorate.
“The creativity of our kids always blows me away,” said Mr Entsch. “Last year I saw designs using acrylic paint, water colours, sand, glitter, cut-outs, and recycled materials. It was incredible.”
Mr Entsch thanked Cairns Penny for again coming on board as the competition sponsor.
“Cairns Penny have already shown us the ‘spirit of Christmas’ ? donating $150, $100, and $50 First Penny accounts for our first, second, and third prize-winners,” he said.
“They’ve also provided another five $20 accounts for outstanding designs.”
Peter Phillips from Cairns Penny said: “It’s a real honour to be able to support the creative talents of our kids in the Far North.
“As we do every year, we’ll be mounting the entries on our wall for everyone to admire ? it makes for an eye-catching display that our customers love,” said Mr Phillips.
All schools will receive the application forms and conditions of entry next week so that students can start designing. The competition will close at 5pm on Friday, 7th November.
Forms can also be collected from the office at 102 Grafton St, from Cairns Penny at 22/24 Grafton St, or downloaded using the link below.
All entries should be sent to PO Box 14, BUNGALOW, QLD 4870. They must be the original design, in a horizontal A4 format, accompanied by a completed application form.
Christmas Card Competition Rules 2014
- The competition is open to children aged 5 to 12 inclusive.
- Entries must be relevant to the theme of “the spirit of Christmas”.
- The final design must be submitted on a horizontal A4 page only, as the winning image will be shrunk to fit a 10cm x 21cm card.
- Entrants are encouraged to be creative in their use of different media ? whether painting, drawing, sketching or scrap-booking/collage.
- Each entry must be attached to a completed application form (feel free to photocopy the form).
- Prize winners will be notified by email/phone by Friday 21st November and will be invited to a Prize Giving at Cairns Penny Savings & Loans, Grafton St, Cairns. Winners must consent (via signature of parent/guardian) to having their photo taken for use in Mr Entsch’s Christmas newsletter and any media.
- Entries must be received by 5pm on Friday, 7th November either by post to The Hon Warren Entsch MP, PO BOX 14, BUNGALOW QLD 4870 or in person to the office at 102 Grafton St, Cairns.
- Prizes are as follows: 1st – $150 First Penny account; 2nd – $100 First Penny account, 3rd – $50 First Penny account. Five $20 accounts will be awarded as encouragement awards.