Leichhardt MP Warren Entsch has welcomed a new veterans’ employment program that will see veterans and current Australian Defence Force personnel in Far North Queensland benefit from a range of employment initiatives.
Mr Entsch called on local businesses to recognise the unique skills that Australian Defence Force (ADF) personnel bring to business.
“Making sure that our veterans find meaningful employment is one of the best ways to help them make the transition from the defence forces into post-service life,” Mr Entsch said.
“ADF personnel learn unique skills during their service to our country and those skills can be used by the private sector to make a business more successful.
“The Australian Government will ensure all ADF personnel who leave the military have the documentation in place and support available to make a successful transition to civilian life.”
The Government has announced a package of initiatives as part of The Prime Minister’s Veterans’ Employment Program to improve the transition process for ADF personnel and provide more post-service employment opportunities.
• All ADF personnel will leave the military with the necessary documentation, including health records, superannuation and training records.
• All ADF personnel will participate in the transition process, which will include access to employment coaching and a new toolkit to assist finding work in the public service.
• The Government’s JobsActive website will add a feature for employers to nominate positions that would suit for ADF personnel.
• Businesses will be encouraged to partner with a local Ex-Service Organisation, such as the RSL and Soldier On, to develop strategies for driving veterans’ employment. Ex-service organisations and companies can register their interest by emailing: ESOindustryregister@dva.gov.au
• The excellent work done by Australian businesses employing veterans will be recognised at an annual Prime Minister’s Veterans Employment Awards.
• A private-sector led Advisory Committee of leading business people who develop strategies to recruit and retain veterans in employment. Companies can register their interest by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org