As 2016 draws to a close, it’s a good opportunity to wish all my constituents in Leichhardt a very merry Christmas and to update you on recent developments.
The last few months have been busy with Parliamentary sittings in Canberra, where as a government we delivered over $20 billion in budget repair – a major priority. We’ve also:
- restored the Australian Building and Construction Commission (ABCC);
- fixed VET FEE-HELP and are focusing on equipping students with job-ready skills;
- passed important changes to Australia’s superannuation system;
- delivered tax cuts for more than half a million middle income Australians;
- provided certainty for agriculture and tourism sectors who employ backpackers;
- secured our borders with no successful boat arrivals for more than 800 days; and
- expanded opportunities for exporters with the Singapore strategic partnership.
Locally, there have been a number of hot issues that I’ve been addressing with constituents or in the media. From the dredging of Trinity Inlet or the failed marriage equality plebiscite, to progress in delivering our Northern Australia initiatives, the recovery of our Great Barrier Reef after the coral bleaching event and proposals to allow limited trophy hunting of crocodiles, there’s always something going on!
I’ve also been working with my Ministerial colleagues on issues such as the overly restrictive land clearing laws in Queensland, my continued support for a Tribunal to assist victims of bank ‘bastardry’ receive redress and compensation, the hunting of turtle and dugong with endangered species status and parallel imports of motor vehicles among others.
Ahead in 2017, I’m looking forward to continuing to represent you, and working with local projects to make sure that election commitments are signed off in a timely manner. As always, if there are any Federal issues that you need assistance with, please contact my office.
Lastly, I hope you have a very happy holiday and enjoy spending time with friends and family. Please also be safe whether you’re at home, on the road or in the water.