Federal Leichhardt MP Warren Entsch today announced 43 scholarships would be available to international and domestic students to study in Cairns and Far North Queensland next year.
Mr Entsch said tertiary education providers in Cairns and Far North Queensland had been provided $1.056 million to offer the scholarships through the Morrison Government’s $93.7 million Destination Australia program.
Destination Australia provides scholarships worth $15,000 a year to students who study at a regional university or vocational education provider.
In Cairns and Far North Queensland there will be:
- Ten international scholarships at the Cairns Beauty Academy
- Two domestic and two international scholarships at CQU Cairns
- Two domestic scholarships at the Gallang Place Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders Corporation’s Cairns campus and two at its Cooktown campus
- Six domestic and eight international scholarships at JCU Cairns
- Two domestic scholarships at JCU Thursday Island
- Nine international scholarships at TAFE Queensland Cairns.
“Our region has a great story to tell and we can be an attractive destination for international and domestic students,” Mr Entsch said.
“That is why I have worked with local providers and the Education Minister to secure these scholarships for our electorate.
“Attracting more students to study in Cairns and Far North Queensland will be good for our community, good for local businesses and good for tourism.
“Our Government’s Destination Australia program is helping to attract more students to study in regional Australia and we can help by promoting Cairns and Far North Queensland as an attractive study destination because of our lifestyle, lower cost of living and smaller class sizes.”
Students can apply directly to institutions.
Successful tertiary education providers can be found at www.education.gov.au/destination-australia.