An election is an opportunity to seek funding for projects that may not normally come under the scope of Federal Government grant programmes.
While it’s never possible to get every project across the line, this campaign I feel we’ve had a real win in getting funding approved for a broad range of initiatives that can be grouped into four key areas:
By safeguarding our incredible natural assets we also protect the jobs they support, including unprecedented protections for the Great Barrier Reef:
- $1 billion Reef package to support projects that reduce emissions and improve water quality (across multiple electorates)
- $1.3 million for the Citizens of the Great Barrier global awareness and fundraising project
- $150,000 to expand the Run for the Reef initiative beyond Port Douglas to Cairns, Townsville and further afield
- $6 million for an additional control vessel to tackle crown-of- thorns starfish between Cairns and Lizard Island
- $8.8 million towards the eradication of Yellow Crazy Ants in areas adjacent to the Wet Tropics World Heritage Area
- $120,000 for Tangaroa Blue to continue to work to reduce marine debris
- $150,000 for Cassowary protection
Improvements in social infrastructure and key programmes will make our communities stronger and more resilient:
- $1.5 million to build Stage 1 of the COUCH Cancer Help & Wellness Centre
- $25 million to address domestic violence in Indigenous communities (across multiple electorates)
- $40,000 for Cooktown District Community Centre’s ‘Social Enterprise Training Café’
- $60,000 to install a commercial kitchen at The Junction Clubhouse mental health facility
Our new industry in tropical sports conditioning will see more investment in sports facilities, attracting training squads and getting young people into healthy activities:
- $1.5 million towards the Cairns Basketball expansion
- $2.7 million for the Cairns Hockey Association redevelopment
- $50,000 to create a Wangetti Trail Concept Plan
I’ll continue to support development that will create jobs and grow our businesses, and focus on implementation of our Northern Australia vision:
- $24 million to upgrade the Cairns Marine Precinct
- $6.7 million towards the Port Douglas Water Reservoir
- $42.6 million towards sealing the remainder of the Hann Highway
- $825,000 for a Lakeland Downs water feasibility study
- $20 million Business, Jobs and Investment package
- $10 million for the Cairns Innovation Centre
- Funding for new mobile phone infrastructure at Weipa, Mt Carbine, Cape Tribulation and Wonga Beach
With more than $150m in election commitments secured for our region, the focus now is on getting these funds to successful proponents in a timely manner.
I’ve contacted all proponents and advised them to begin preparing the documentation for their project, which will help to speed up the process in getting contracts signed off.
You can keep up to date with developments by visiting my Facebook page www.facebook.com/WarrenEntschMP or this website.