The Morrison Government will provide financial support for individuals who have lost work or income as a result of the three-day Cairns and Yarrabah lockdown.
Payments of between $200 and $750 per week will be made to eligible individuals who either lived or worked in the affected lockdown areas.
Individuals can apply for the COVID-19 Disaster Payment from Monday, 16 August 2021.
All payments will be backdated to the first day of the three-day lockdown.
Federal Leichhardt MP Warren Entsch said the Morrison Government would continue to support Far North Queenslanders during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“I fully appreciate this is a very difficult period for Cairns and Far North Queensland which is already going through a tough time as a result of the impact of the COVID-19 travel restrictions and the three-day lockdown,” Mr Entsch said.
“Similar to JobKeeper, this payment is designed to provide a safety net during this difficult period.”
Federal Emergency Management and National Recovery and Resilience Minister Bridget McKenzie said people may be eligible if their work or income was affected by the three-day lockdown in Cairns and Yarrabah.
“Our Government continues to stand with Australians during the COVID-19 pandemic,” Ms McKenzie.
“Those eligible will receive $750 per week if they have lost 20 or more hours of work, and $450 per week if they have lost between eight and less than 20 hours of work, or a full day of work.
“People currently receiving an income support payment can also claim an extra payment of $200 if they have lost eight hours or more of work and meet the other eligibility requirements for the COVID-19 Disaster Payment.
Federal Government Services Minister Linda Reynolds said there’s no need to contact Services Australia before claims open but people can prepare to claim now by setting up a myGov account if they don’t already have one.
“The quickest and easiest way to claim COVID-19 Disaster Payment is online,” Ms Reynolds said.
“By setting up a myGov account now, you can make sure you’re ready to go when claims open on Monday, 16 August.
“So far, Services Australia has granted more than 1.7 million claims across the nation for COVID-19 Disaster Payment, totalling over $2 billion.”
Further information about payments, or to make a claim, can be found using the links below or by phoning 180 22 66.