Forty volunteer organisations across Cairns and Far North Queensland will share in $146, 609 in federal government grants to help them continue the fantastic work they do in their respective communities.
The successful organisations* will receive grants of between $1,000 and $5,000 to help with a range of needs, including buying equipment, paying fuel costs, training volunteers or improving fundraising.
Federal Leichhardt MP Warren Entsch said volunteering greatly benefits our communities both socially and economically.
“Volunteers embody the best of our community with thousands of people regularly volunteering their skills, services and time to make life in Far North Queensland better for those around them,” Mr Entsch said.
“Volunteers are the lifeblood of our community and by continuing to help each other and work together; we are building a stronger and safer Far North Queensland.
“Volunteers play a critical role in helping shape our region and building stronger and more resilient communities.
“Their generosity permeates almost every aspect of Far North Queensland life; whether it be helping out local sporting clubs or land care groups, assisting our most disadvantaged, or helping recover from natural disasters
“Not only is volunteering a great community service – it also has enormous financial value – a value estimated at $290 billion per year, which is in addition to the massive social contribution volunteers make to our region.
“I am proud to be part of a government that values and nurture volunteers from all walks of life and
from all parts of our vast region.”
Organisations across Far North Queensland receiving volunteer grants include:
* Kuranda Information and Support Centre Association
* White Rock Primary P&C Association
* Cairns Choral Society
* Port Douglas Football Club
* Paws and Claws Animal Care Centre
* Weipa Early Childhood Education Association
* Cairns Surf Lifesaving Club
* Mossman Support Services
* Port Douglas Junior Football Club
* Hopevale Thurrpill Community Justice Group Aboriginal Corporation
* Wallaby Creek Festival
* Tropical North Girl Guides
* Port Douglas Primary P&C Association
* Marlin Coast Netball Coaches Association
* Mossman Pony Club Inc.
* Rotary Club of Cairns
* Cairns Art Society Inc.
* Ellis Beach Surf Lifesaving Club
* St Vincent de Paul Queensland – Good Shepherd Conference Port Douglas
* VMR Yorke Island Inc.
* Volunteer Marine Rescue – Thursday Island
* Tangaroa Blue Foundation Inc
* Cairns Bhutanese Football Club
* St Vincent de Paul Society – Vinnies Grafton St
* St Vincent de Paul Society – Vinnies Smithfield
* St Vincent de Paul Society – Vinnies Cooktown
* St Vincent de Paul Society – Vinnies Stratford
* Marlin Coast Meals on Wheels
* Daintree Primary P&C Association
* Wujal Wujal Justice Group
* Kuranda Amphitheatre Society Inc.
* Cairns Pregnancy Help Inc.
* Far North Queensland African Community Association Inc.
* Tropical Arts Association Inc.
* Cairns Couch Ltd
* Freshwater and District Horse and Pony Club Inc.
* Gungarde Community Centre Aboriginal Corporation
* Weipa (Tropical North) Girl Guides
* Port Douglas Surf Lifesaving Club Inc.
* Australian Outrigger Canoe Racing Association